Thursday, November 6, 2008

11.3 - Revisiting information overload

For a week, I was out of the country and had no Internet or phone access. Despite early separation anxiety, I truly learned to enjoy the feeling. As I sat on the plane... I dreaded the avalanche of email I would return to. Sure enough, my voicemail box was full and it took me about 3 hours just to sort through my emails for just one week.

After reading about information overload for quite a while, I decided to curtail my email usage as much as possible. It took me a while to wean myself away from tv and caffeine... and I haven't been successful staying away from those, so I'm dubious about my efforts to be strong when it comes to email. So far, I've restricted myself to checking email only twice a day and it's been nice. At the very least, it should help me organize my time better...

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

SS said...

It’s so sad, but the idea of no internet or cell phone reception for a week really freaks me out. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to escape the reach of my many email inboxes and 2 cell phones (it almost became 3 today) but I always think “What if…?” What if it was important? What if ____ was trying to reach me? What if I miss out on ____ ?

I remember there was a weekend camping trip last year aimed at getting away from technology. It was such a great idea and I signed up and was all excited to go but then I started to think of all the different “What ifs” and backed out last minute.