Sunday, November 30, 2008

WP1 - An Analysis of Global Virtual Teams: Conflict & Leadership

The first web poster I read was PinkLady's... because I received a million update change update notifications for her pbwiki through gmail. With all those changes, I figured it had to be a good web poster. ;)

The topic immediately interested me because of 2 main factors:
1) I've been a part of several virtual teams (with varying degrees of success).
2) I was interested in how she got information prior to 2003.

This web poster was well organized and informational.

While I agree with the advantages and disadvantages listed in table 2.1 and figure 2.1, the most prevalent one in my experience was absent. I am admittedly an over-friendly person at time and while many people like to keep work and home life separate, I've always been social with my co-workers. This means the occasional after-work beers or BBQ. When working on virtual teams, there was friendly banter... but never the same depth of interaction and communication. The "personal touch" was definitely lacking in virtual teams.

I know that virtual teams will grow increasingly popular and the "personal touch" will decrease in importance as virtual communications become the norm... I am slightly saddened to think about that future workplace. :(

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

About 10 years ago I was flying back from a convention in Chicago and sat by a mid-level executive for Motorola. I had just started teaching online and was talking with him about the use of new communication technologies in education and organizations. His company was already making extensive use of videoconferencing and net meetings to cut travel requirements. His team was comprised of people from around the globe. Most of their work was conducted virtually, but they met as a group at least once a year, primarily to socialize, relax, and have fun. I was surprised that the company recognized the importance of group member relationships as well as goal achievement. At least for this group, management realized that getting the job done meant putting resources toward that "personal touch" you describe in your post.